|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||1-1/2 hours*|
- 2 whole lemons, preferably organic
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced ¼” thick
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 T. Herbes de Provence
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 whole roasting chicken (approximately 4-5lbs.)
- 4 large rosemary sprigs, torn into smaller pieces, divided
- 1 lbs. baby red potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 T. whole peppercorns
- 1/2 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Zest one of the lemons with a micro plane and cut the rest of it into quarters. Set the zest and lemon aside.
- Slice the remaining lemon into ¼-inch thick slices and arrange on the bottom of a large,oven-safe skillet, along with the sliced yellow onion. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon zest, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and Herbes de Provence. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir with a fork to create a paste.
- Place the chicken on top of the onions and lemon in the skillet and gently massage 1-2 tablespoons of the lemon-butter mixture under the skin. Spread the remaining mixture all over the outside of the chicken in an even layer.
- Stuff the chicken with the quartered lemon and 1/3 of the rosemary sprigs. Secure the legs together with kitchen string.