This delicious side dish is full of caramelized flavor punctuated by tasty bits of bacon and crispy goodness.
Pair this dish with pork chops or roasted chicken for a wonderful, low-carb
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||25-30 minutes|
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices
- ½ lbs. fresh Brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half
- 2 T. Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, turning once to ensure it is cooked evenly on both sides. Cover pan with a splatter guard while cooking, if desired.
- Remove skillet from heat and place cooked bacon on a wire rack set over paper towels to drain. Once cool, blot bacon with paper towels to remove excess fat before crumbling.
- After skillet has cooled slightly, carefully drain the excess bacon fat into an empty can or other heat-safe container. If any fat drips down the side of the skillet, be sure to wipe it off with a damp dish cloth before putting it back on the burner.
- In a large bowl, combine Brussels sprouts and olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and add Brussels sprouts and cook for several minutes until they begin to turn brown. Add the crumbled bacon to the skillet and place in the pre-heated oven. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the sprouts turn a rich, caramelized color.
- Remove skillet from oven and serve immediately.