You’ll never miss the beans in this chunky beef chili thanks to a flavor-packed and satisfying combination of fresh vegetables and Portobello mushrooms. To top it off, a nice blend of herbs and spices pulls it all together into a delicious and filling meal.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 T. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 1 lb. Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. cayenne pepper
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 24.oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 c. beef (or chicken) broth, preferably organic
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, carrots, celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, and jalapeno pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and fragrant, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and garlic and generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the beef is browned, around 5-6 minutes.
- Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and tomato paste. Stir everything together and cook for another minute or two, or until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Top with pickled jalapeno pepper and red onion or diced avocado and cilantro, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!